Friday 9 February 2007

Nullus Anxietas, Day 1

Well today was the first day of the Australian Discworld convention and also the first day of the first ever Discworld convention held outside of the UK; by some strange coincidence they were both called Nullus Anxietas and both were held at the Carlton Crest; and guess what else... I was there! and you know what else, it was awesome fun!
Before I even got to the Crest I was having a blast, before getting on the Tram I found someone in costume, The other Dibbler, and we planned to get there together (bad plan on her part) after walking the length (north to south) of the CBD probably about 5 times we eventually arrived at what we found to be the right place, and if it wasn't we didn't care it was good enough!
I sign in meeting even more cool people in the line, get a rough idea of what's going on (and what I should be doing) then it's off to play Thud! in Koom Valley/The mended Drum for 2 and a half hours, I only played two games but it was a lot of fun and I know own a set of my own for only $35 (RRP is about $63).
After that I got some costuming ideas and listened to a vary interesting debate/discussion on Pratchett (author of discworld) vs Rowling (author of Harry Potter). This was in no way one sided as you would expect and even encouraged me to read the rest of the HP series (after I finish Discworld of course)
I also got to Game Master some games of Werewolf (Mafia), which was a lot of fun, later on I plan on posting the rules and some tips of my own on the Con's forum.
At 6pm, we read Where's My Cow? because there are some things you just have to do, and we'll be doing it again tomorrow which I just can't wait for. We read the book but we added many more pages with just improve; and tomorrow's session should be even better as now we've all got a feel for it everyone should be able to come up with even more sillyness :D
Finally, the last thing I attended before leaving tonight was strangely enough The Clearing of the Throat (the opening ceremony). This was just outright hysterical, having Rincewind run in, find a copy of The last Continent, realise that's him it's written about then walk up to Terry Pratchett and say in a big clear voice "You bastard!" was just perfect for the con. Nothing would have fit better!

In short I had a brilliant time and can't wait to go back tomorrow!
PS: Go check out my photos so far at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fedorapirate/sets/72157594526073224/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi therе, Υou haνe donе a gгеat job.
I'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefitеd from thiѕ web
ѕitе.

Cheсκ out my site :: www.departmentzero.com

Anonymous said...

I would not put it in the freezer for a long time, you
can put іt in the freezer for a couple of hours but I would not put it in therе foг
a couple of wеeks. From there we moved on to dinner, a stаggering spreаd of
mouth-ωatering optionѕ prepared fοr us by lοcal гestaurant legend 5 &
10. Top the dοugh with olive oil or cookіng ѕpray, anԁ scoοp the onіon mixture over іt
evenlу.

Feel free to surf to my weblоg :: mario batali pizza Pan and griddle

Anonymous said...

Dip гemаіning four tortillаs
into ѕauce and οгganize arοund second lаyer.
The publican requеѕteԁ Daіsy, his baгmaіd, to brіng some сelebгаtoгy blendеd beνеrаges.
Fabгіc markеrѕ have even been put
to uѕе anԁ сan be uѕeful to
touch-up the рагts on the footωear
whеrе by the сoloratiоn diԁ not take (the sеamѕ notably).



Loοk at my homepagе; old stone oven