Sunday 11 February 2007

Nullus Anxietas, Day 3

Time for my third and unfortunately final *sniff* installment in my series on my experiences at Nullus Anxietas (if you haven't already, go check out the first two parts).
Firstly I hate my alarm clock and plan to replace it tomorrow, I woke up naturally at 9:58am, when I planned to get up at 6:30 to catch the 7:30 train and be there by 9. Obviously none of this happened, instead I swung into action with keenness and speed and managed to get to the con at 11: 36. Quite a feat as metlink say the fastest you can get to the con from Hoppers Crossing station is about 1 hour and 20 minutes (I took 16 more minutes, but including breakfast, shower, dressing and running to the station I think I did very well).
Today once again I went in costume, a costume I Moist von Lipwig (pre-apprehension). No one recognised me as him, but I figure this is a good thing when you dress as a character who's biggest feature is his unidentifiableness (Okay, to be fair I know I got the hair wrong, but for a only 16 minutes including running I think I did pretty good).
Due to being late I missed my morning Thud games, as well as the Wyrd Sisters play :( I came in half way through the Terry Q&A session, but as I did not know what had already been asked I was unable to ask any questions. Following this was the first public performance of Pyramids, admittadly it was just a script reading and it was just the first half. But it was still a lot of fun, and I wish Unseen all the best when they put it on.
After that I watched the start of the great debate but didn't find it terribly thrilling, so I went to play Thud. First I played Dwarfs and started well, keeping the match even (at the start this is quite good for the Dwarfs) but after taking two trolls I found myself unable to take any more, and constantly on the run ending with 10 dwarfs. Then time for the role swap, and I managed to bring my opponent down to 8 dwarfs without losing a single troll (for those of you bad at maths, that means I won). But there's more to it than that, I won against the at that point undefeatable Watch Resuscitation Dummy and probably the best Thud player at the con, sure for that game he was playing one or two others (depending on which point you look at). But he played 4 games at once earlier that morning and didn't lose one, so I am quite proud and spent a short 5 minutes as an underdog hero to all the Thud players.
The catch of winning that game was I missed seeing the start of the stage production of Mort, as walking away before my score was actually better than his would not have meant victory although we both could see it coming (or at least I could). At the end of our game, I went to see the rest of Mort but as I knew how it started, ended and most of the stuff in between, yet not being properly introduced to this particular incarnation of it meant that I quickly got bored.
So thus it was that I found myself sitting in 'The Great Hall' awaiting the commencement of Fair Go Dibbler's Charity Auction. The money raised in this was first used to get the con to break even then the rest went to The Orangutan Foundation (Terry's Favourite charity), while I did not actually purchase anything in this it was a lot of fun to watch and I did add at least $10 to the total sum by bidding once or twice. The two most expensive items to go sold for $975 and $650, they being a set of three matching head sculptures (of Rincewind, Death and the Librarian) and a plush toy of Great A'Tuin and the discworld (and the elephants of course too). In my personal opinion the soft toys should have been worth more than the sculptures, but as an impoverished student I could bid on neither.
Then, it was time for The Apocralypse (the closing ceremony) *sniff again*. While not as fun as 'The Clearing of the Throat', still quite well done. After all was said and done it was time to return to the real world.

Over all the con was a lot of fun, and a great experiance. I am truely insired to read all the discworld novels now.
Oh once again if you want to see my photos from the con (none from Saturday) go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/fedorapirate/sets/72157594526073224/
But to see everyone else's photos too (probably a lot more fun) got to http://www.flickr.com/groups/nullus_anxietas/

No comments: